History of Gerami Academy
Gerami School of Dance opened in 1949 with an enrollment of 14 students. The first location was on S. Orange Street in Lafayette in a remodeled storage room. The original owner, Mrs. Merry Joy Gerami, was a young wife and mother with a love of dance and a strong desire to teach. Since its beginning, Gerami Academy has fostered and supported dance as a fine art. Through the years, the school has provided entertainment for many civic, social, and charitable organizations earning a reputation second to none. Teachers and students have met many challenges and have taken the art of dance to a new level in the entire Acadiana area.
In 1976, the studio was acquired by its present owner, Rebecca Landry, a former student of Merry Joy Gerami, and continued on a path of excellence. In its 67th year of dance education, Gerami Academy takes great pride in the accomplishments and positive impact on every person that has walked or danced through its doors. Graduates of Gerami Academy have become doctors, attorneys, judges, designers, and yes, instructors of "The Dance." That magic sound "and 5..6..7..8" has been carried from the present location of 200 Arceneaux Street throughout the state and nation.
Former students have continued to dance professionally with the School of American Ballet, Harkness School of Ballet, New York City Ballet, Joffery Ballet, Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, Radio City Music Hall Rockettes, Universal Dance Association, and other entertainment venues.
Living up to its motto, "we perform," pre-school students to the advanced, Gerami's dancers are the first choice to put on the best of shows and bring the audience to its feet.